We have talked about visions frequently in other blogs and our podcast. I struggle at times to remember my vision and see it in my mind. As you all know, I love visuals, so I have answered these questions and printed it out to look at every day. This way, I can write in changes or new things that I want and I am able to visualize it whenever I need to.
We have to first start out with a 10, 15 or 30 year vision. Think about these main categories: physically, spiritually, mentally, relationally, financially, professionally and personally. Here are some questions to get you started.
1. What does your house look like?
2. What does your family look like?
3. How are your relationships?
4. What are you driving?
5. What are you doing for a career?
6. What type of investments do you have?
7. How much passive income are you making?
8. What do you spend your weekends doing?
9. What skills have you learned?
10. How many places have you traveled to?
11. What dreams have you accomplished?
After figuring out what we want in the far future, we can breakdown what we can do in 3-5 years to get to the goals above. Here are some basic questions that can help you get to some goals.
- What expenses can be cut out?
- What skills can you learn?
- What investments can you buy into?
- What does are quality of life look like?
- How much money are you saving a month?
- What trips can you plan?
After breaking down where you want to be in 3-5 years, we can set ourselves goals or benchmarks on a monthly basis. Try to start planning your bench marks by a particular month, and then plan out weekly how you will get to that goal. The more you plan, the easier it is to make it to your goals. In my personal opinion, I believe that planning is 50% of the way to accomplishing a goal. If you do a thorough job on planning, it should only come naturally as long as you imagine the end goal.
If you are interested in goal planning in particular, I highly recommend reading the 12 Week Year. This book helps teach you how to effectively make goals and accomplish more of them, in a shorter period of time. If you have been reading our other blogs, we tried to do this at the beginning of the year. It would have worked if we would have taken the time to plan out and have a vision for what we wanted as an end goal.
Keep on pushing and make the world yours.
Your Life Tutor